Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Field Specialist Joseph M. Hannan supports the Local Foods Industry and is tasked with developing a regional extension education program for Iowa’s commercial fruit and vegetable producers. His expertise is in Commercial fruit and vegetable production including small fruits, tree fruits, and vegetables; soil fertility; irrigation; high tunnel production; and food safety. His goal is to increase the quality, quantity, and safety of produce entering the local market.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCEIowa State University
Commercial Horticulture Field Specialist
- Develop a regional extension education program for Iowa’s commercial fruit and vegetable producers with emphasis on research, education, and outreach.
- Develop, deliver, and evaluate educational programs derived from needs assessment primarily focused around vegetable production in high tunnels, Produce Safety Alliance curriculum, apple production, and small fruit production.
- Edits and contribute content for websites, podcast, newsletters, and social media.
- Coordinate beginning farmer and apple peer groups.
- Provide leadership and subject matter support to local, state, and regional teams.
- Diagnose, consult, and provide technical assistance to Iowa farmers in the field and remotely.
- Build partnerships and networks across the Midwest region.
- Mentor new employees.
- Work as a team to: bulk produce corn, soybeans, snap beans, and melons; conduct fruit, vegetable, and commodity crop research and demonstrations; promote the farm and research projects through field days, newsletters, and a website.
- Hire and supervise part-time employees and interns as well as coordinate vineyard employees to successfully complete farm projects.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and functioning farm and equipment.
- Manage the research vineyard at offsite location.
- Owner/operator of small wholesale strawberry farm.
- Production Manager for small wholesale tomato farm