You are invited to a Water Event in Indiana, on June 16-17! Indiana Water Day workshop will expand on the knowledge obtained during the Bridging the GAPs workshop in a farm environment. This workshop will include the application of the FDA Agricultural Water Assessment Builder Tool on farm, demonstration from a mobile post-harvest water treatment unit, and have concentrated time to expand knowledge on the agricultural water and use of sanitizers.
Registration deadline is June 1.
FDA Water Assessment Tool
FDA's Agricultural Water Assessment Builder is a user-friendly tool designed to help farms understand the proposed requirements in the Agricultural Water Proposed Rule. The development of this tool is consistent with our objectives in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint to look for smarter tools and approaches for food safety. Use of the tool is optional.
- Participants will work within teams to use the FDA Agricultural Water Assessment Builder on a farm with two different water types. FDA personnel will assist with the use of the tool.
- Participants will gain practical (hands-on) experience working with sanitizer systems highlighted in the Bridging the GAPs curriculum.
- Participants will learn techniques for properly installing sanitizer systems into new or existing irrigation systems.
- Participants will learn how to monitor and calibrate systems for accurate metering of sanitizing materials into irrigation systems.
- Participants will gain knowledge on how postharvest sanitizers are defined and regulated
- Participants will learn about the labeling requirements for postharvest sanitizers
- Participants will learn techniques for properly measuring sanitizer concentration for common post-harvest sanitizers: Chlorine, PAA, and chlorine dioxide (hands-on)
- Participants will witness a demonstration on how to use alternative sanitizers united (UV and fogging systems)
Registration is $40 and includes two lunches. Other meals and lodging are not included. Participants will need to make their own arrangements for hotels.
Here are the two hotels that are in West Lafayette. Both are just off of campus, but people may choose to stay at another hotel in Lafayette if they wish (about a 20 minute drive):
Hilton Garden Inn West Lafayette Wabash Landing
356 E State St, West Lafayette, IN 47906
Hampton Inn & Suites West Lafayette
160 Tapawingo Dr, West Lafayette, IN 47906